Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Yes, Please!

So, Renner likes to eat. No, LOVES to eat! This eating thing is pretty fun and the highlight of our day. Renner didn't really care for the rice, oatmeal, barley or wheat cereals by themselves, but once we started adding the veggies, it was on. He doesn't really like being contained in the highchair so we improvised. His Mimi gave him, what we refer to as "the car", that he sits in and is able to move about in the kitchen. We feed him while he sits in it...well, more like stands in it. Mike & I were talking to one of my co-workers and her daughter, who has a 6 month old as well and she suggested that we try him on the sweet peas since he didn't really care for the bland cereal. Sure enough...she was right! He LOVES sweet peas. The first pic with the "Rock" bib was of him eating the peas. He also liked green beans. Then we moved onto carrots then sweet potatoes. I think of all the veggies, he liked the sweet potatoes the best. Which of course is Mommy's favorite veggie too! This afternoon I started his first fruit, peaches, and that didn't go over to well. He took a couple of bites and gave me this nasty look like "yucky Mommy!". So I ended up disguising it with some sweet potatoes that I had left.
We've also started giving him some baby juice, like apple, prune, etc. He drinks about 2 ozs a day of juice and fusses quite a bit when I take it away and he's not done drinking. He definitely voices his opinions loud and clear.
Next up is squash, applesauce, pears, bananas and prunes. I'll update later with how those go. Something new that Renner is truly enjoying with his Daddy is riding on his shoulders. It is the funniest thing the way he bobs up and down on Mike's shoulders when Mike runs around the house with him. I tried doing it for the first time today, but I think I'll leave that one to Daddy.
It's mid-August and we all know that means that Daddy is super busy with football season. So, Mommy is now having to give baths to Renner. Yep, Daddy has been the official bath giver (it's his special thing he does with his son) but now it's time for Mommy to step up to the plate, bite the bullet and bathe. A couple of nights ago I gave Renner a bath. It was the first bath I've given in a few months. Yes, that's right, in a few months. Well, he is much heavier and bigger than the last bath I gave. As I was bathing him he kept giving me this "What the heck are you doing?" and "You don't do it like Daddy" look. I know, I know...it had to be done. I was so stressed out and afraid he was going to slip out of my hands. It ended up being okay, he was clean and I was soaking wet, but it was all good. Tonight Mike's practices ended early, so secretly I was saying "Thank you God", I got out of giving tonight's bath!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Renner is adorable. I love reading your blog! I understand about the food. Emma doesn't really care for rice cereal but likes oatmeal when mixed with fruit. She eats all of the fruits and vegetables, but she likes the orange vegetables the best. We are now working our way through the meats and when that is done I will start the stage 2 foods. Good luck with the food experments and I will see you Monday!